All Things CLASS

View Only
  • 1.  Concept Development - Pre-k

Posted 02-26-2020 07:51
    As I am working to deepen my understanding of Concept Development for Pre-k, I am wondering if an example of reasoning or analysis would be when a teacher is engaged in an activity with a child or a group of children and supporting the children in learning how to identify the beginning sound and letter that represents that sound in a word.

------------------------------
    Robert Gundling
    Alexandria VA

• 2.  RE: Concept Development - Pre-k

Posted 02-27-2020 13:16
    These are the kind of questions that teachers often ask that have the ability to drive me batty!!

There are so many variations in how teachers approach things that it makes giving a clear answer very challenging. I often find myself saying "well, that depends".

Based on your description my guess is that would be a better example of Quality of Feedback if the teacher is giving hints/assists to help children figure it out, or prompting their thoughts processes in examining why they gave their answer.

However, if the teachers is having a child compare the sound of a known word to the sound of another word, or having the child problem solve how he could find the answer, or classifying pictures based on the beginning sound...then those items could fit the Analysis and Reasoning piece of concept development.

Reading the definition at the top of the face pages in the manual has been very helpful for me as well as reading the Low/Mid/High sections.

Tamara De Los Santos
    Fairbanks AK

• 3.  RE: Concept Development - Pre-k

Teachstone Staff
    Posted 02-27-2020 13:53
    Hi @Robert Gundling, Tamara offered good feedback and ideas. I'd add that if you're interested in exploring concept development more I'd recommend this blog post about analysis and reasoning as well as this resource with Creating ideas for concept development. 

In addition to all the suggestions @Tamara De Los Santos shared of ways to incorporate analysis and reasoning into a storytime, these are from the blog post: 

Reading a Book:

• Why/how questions: How do you think the story will end?  Why do you think the character is sad?
    • Problem-solving: The animals are fighting. How could they solve their problem? Why might that work?
    • Prediction/experimentation: What do you think she will do next? Let's record our predictions so we can remember them at the end of the book.
    • Evaluation: What did you think of the book? What was your favorite part?

Liz Savage
    Community Manager
    Teachstone