All Things CLASS

View Only
  • 1.  Podcast Discussion - Encouraging Voice and Choice in the Classroom (S2E3)

Posted 10-14-2021 10:14
    Episode 3 of our Teaching with CLASS Podcast is out and ready for your ears! If you haven't gotten a chance to listen yet, you can check out the episode here!

In this episode, our host @Mamie Morrow TS chats with our guest @Colleen Schmit TS about Regard for Student Perspectives (RSP) and how to encourage voice and choice in the classroom. ​​​​​

I personally really loved when Collen talked about how when she is in the classroom, she is very intentional about trying to think of everything they are doing through the eyes of the kids. It can be exciting to elicit their ideas and understand their perspective, while still maintaining balance.

The first question I want to ask you all is what is your why? 

Colleen highlights that it can be difficult to find the time to reflect on if what you are doing is best for your students. How can we be intentional about our reflecting and thinking in the classroom? Here are some examples of questions you can ask yourself in the moment or after the fact:
    • Am I intentionally exciting them about learning by providing opportunities for them to be partners with me?
    • How can I work with my students to make sure they learn today?
    • What am I doing now to intentionally allow them to be my partner?
    • How am I giving them ownership of what their learning journey looks like?
    • What am I doing on purpose because of what the kids do or say?
    • What action did I take today because of what my children did or said? 
    • Did I respond in a way that encouraged them to expand their learning? 
    After taking some time to reflect, be proud of the things you're doing. Focus on what you are already doing to support children's independence in the classroom, be proud of that, and then maybe think of other ways you can grow. Think, can you do that more often, or in other ways? Can you do it with more children tomorrow? And of course - check in with yourself - Am I meeting my why?

Colleen also spends some time reflecting on her first few years teaching young children, as well as the evolution of her teaching journey. Were there things you were able to relate to? Have you ever had expectations of your students that inevitably impeded their learning? Have you ever had times where you feel like you lost your joy or your why? Please share below if you are comfortable!

I can't wait to hear your reactions to this recent episode and what stood out to you!

Best,
    Allison

Learn more about Regard for Student Perspectives (RSP) on our blog:

------------------------------
    Allison Bloomfield
    Charlottesville VA

• 2.  RE: Podcast Discussion - Encouraging Voice and Choice in the Classroom (S2E3)

Posted 10-15-2021 12:40
    Good morning,

What is my Why?
    Teaching the way that children learn.

Have you ever had times where you feel like you lost your joy or your why?
    Yes, my joy when I couldn't get the children to understand. However when I evaluate things and allow the children to lead we all had a better reaction with the activity.

Ponice Howard
    Grambling LA

• 3.  RE: Podcast Discussion - Encouraging Voice and Choice in the Classroom (S2E3)

Posted 10-18-2021 16:34
    Thank you so much for sharing @Ponice Howard and @Clare Abbott! ​​

Allison Bloomfield
    Charlottesville VA

• 4.  RE: Podcast Discussion - Encouraging Voice and Choice in the Classroom (S2E3)

Posted 10-16-2021 22:22
    Hi, I just started working with pre k students recently and I love doing this and being able to help them achieve their goals.

• 5.  RE: Podcast Discussion - Encouraging Voice and Choice in the Classroom (S2E3)

Posted 08-05-2022 16:37
      |   view attached
    Here is a downloadable resource containing tips from this episode! Print it off and keep it handy for a quick refresher. 

Best,
    Allison

Allison Bloomfield
    Charlottesville VA