All Things CLASS

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Homework for toddlers

• 1.  Homework for toddlers

Posted 01-13-2022 23:06
    Do you think a two year old should have homework?

------------------------------
    Samantha Harris

• 2.  RE: Homework for toddlers

Posted 01-14-2022 10:53
    No, however Parents can have "home work" to read and play with their toddlers. Share activities that parents can do at home. We subscribe to "Ready Rosie" which sends short videos to parents modeling learning games parents can play at home with children with home found materials.

Jean Walech
    Vista CA

• 3.  RE: Homework for toddlers

Posted 01-14-2022 11:08
    Exactly what I was going to say Jean! I would encourage you Samantha to subscribe to Ready Rosie as our families found it very user friendly. (:

Jennifer Haas
    DELAVAN WI

• 4.  RE: Homework for toddlers

Posted 01-14-2022 11:47
    Thanks so much for the ideas.

Samantha Harris

• 5.  RE: Homework for toddlers

Posted 01-14-2022 13:52
    I found that way is the best platforms due to their age.

Mamata Das
    Seattle DE

• 6.  RE: Homework for toddlers

Posted 01-24-2022 13:12
    Hello Jean,
                         Thanks for sharing. Parents need all the extra support they can get during the uncertainty with school closures. Its a great way to keep students and parents engaged in the learning process, using easily accessible materials.

Paula Harris

• 7.  RE: Homework for toddlers

Posted 01-14-2022 10:54
    I do not believe that homework is developmentally appropriate for a 2 year old.  That being said, sending home an occasional family project (decorating a heart for Valentine's Day as a family) is something fun for children and their families to do together.  That should only happen once a quarter or so, not regularly.  I know my families enjoyed those projects.

We sometimes sent home suggested learning activities through Creative Curriculum.  These were not required to be returned.  Some families chose to return them, but we did not require them.  Hope this helps.

Karen Hurley

Karen Hurley
    Daytona Beach FL

• 8.  RE: Homework for toddlers

Posted 01-14-2022 11:48
    Thanks for the ideas.

Samantha Harris

• 9.  RE: Homework for toddlers

Posted 01-24-2022 16:09
    Agree, it should be optional and developmentally appropriate. Arts and craft, manipulatives, playdough, etc.

Christine Saliba
    Ponte Vedra Beach

Christine Nally

• 10.  RE: Homework for toddlers

Posted 01-14-2022 13:14
    Yes

• 11.  RE: Homework for toddlers

Posted 01-14-2022 17:14
    I agree that sending information for the parents is crucial. Simple activities can be sent home for parents to do with their toddlers. Be careful because we pften overload parents with all of the activities we expect them to do with their children. Ease into it with famlies.

Tonya Thomas
    Gering NE

• 12.  RE: Homework for toddlers

Posted 01-18-2022 14:22
    Good Morning,
        I am a pre-k teacher currently working through a headstart program. I have years of experience in public school.  It is my opinion that a weekly task for preschoolers is ok as long as it is a play based activity and the child actually participate in doing it. eg.  build a castle with materials you have at home. (take a photo).  However, home activities can create a problem as the parents tend to do most of the activity. It would be better to send home a game.  But as far as a toddler, I do not believe a homework  is developmentally appropriate. Reading aloud to your toddler each night is appropriate. 
      Ann

• 13.  RE: Homework for toddlers

Posted 01-18-2022 14:23
    I do not believe a 2 year old should have "homework"  They should be exploring their world and enjoying their time with their parents and siblings.

• 14.  RE: Homework for toddlers

Posted 01-25-2022 12:58
    Good Morning Samantha,

I think it is a good idea for toddlers to have a take home activity. It should be an activity that they don't need a lot of parent engagement. We know that parents are tired after a long day, so, we don't want to send anything that may take a large amount of parent involvement. It should also be something they are already familiar with, that is developmentally appropriate, and they have the skill set to be successful at it. This will also help them to maintain the connection to school, while at home.

Nicole Hughes

• 15.  RE: Homework for toddlers

Posted 01-25-2022 13:14
    No I do not think toddlers should have "homework" . However, parents make time to read or play, just spend time with their toddlers, in fact all of their prek kiddos. I know parents are very busy, but this is where those relationships and routines get set.

Norena Novak
    Saint Paul MN

• 16.  RE: Homework for toddlers

Posted 01-27-2022 11:04
    Our Teachers here at Head Start send home small Homework Packets home for our 3-5 year old children. The children love it as do they parents. This is also a way for us to get in-kind money for our Program. The parents sign off on the time it took to complete the packets and we get in-kind Volunteer funds. Head Start has a certain number of in-kind hours we need to meet. Parents can also to help by doing things at home for the teachers, like cutting out stuff for projects.

Brenda Polleys
    Southbridge MA